We strongly recommend you read everything on this page before you proceed to the application form to ensure there are no delays or misunderstandings.
Balsall Radio is a community based internet radio station that is run and managed by a group of volunteers who give up a portion of their time to create and prep content to be broadcast live on air. We are always looking to grow our team and there are a range of roles available including both those that involve presenting on air and those that involve work elsewhere such as technical support and content preparation (if you can think of a position that may be of use to us but isn’t listed anywhere please use the “other” section when you are prompted to enter your role in the application form).
How do we operate?
- First and foremost we are an online only station that does not (currently) broadcast on AM/FM/DAB.
- There are two places which we work and broadcast from:
- The Balsall Radio studio - we sometimes have limited access to this as the area has been donated to us and is mainly used for shows where a group of presenters are involved.
- The comfort of your own home - if you aren’t able to use the studio for your allocated slot or you are applying for a non-presenting role, you will be able to work/broadcast for the comfort of your own home. We will provide you with the software and training needed to carry out a show away from the studio. If you are applying for a non-presenting based role you will also be able to work from the comfort of your own home.
Generally we expect anyone applying for the role of “presenter” to be able to broadcast one show per week at a length of one hour.
To be able to produce this one hour show it generally involves some preparation time for script writing and selecting songs etc. this preparation would need to be completed before a show can be broadcast live.
In almost all circumstances all shows are broadcasted live and then replayed in our omni-bus feature on the Saturday after the show has been first broadcast. There are some circumstances where alternative arrangements can be made if a presenter is absent for a period of time.
Balsall Radio does not have any experience requirements for applying to the station. We consider all and any applications that everyone sends in and this is an excellent opportunity to widen your skillset and knowledge of the radio field.
We teach everything you need to know to get setup on the station from scratch and we will be hosting group training sessions throughout 2017 to help new presenters get set up and to improve the skillsets of existing presenters.
Technical support roles only (excludes radio presenter): Some of our technical roles require a level of experience to effectively carry out the role - be sure to include any skills or experience you have had in IT if you are applying for a technical role (anyone applying for a presenting role does not need to do this).
Please feel free to include any experience you have had in the application form as it will help us to better understand your current abilities and skillsets.
With the exception of technical roles, we don’t require any experience for all other roles.
- Once we have received your application we will request for you to send in a short 60 second clip of a link (a section of audio where the presenter is speaking between songs) to help us better understand your personality and style as a presenter.
- The link needs to include the following:
- The phrase “You're listening to Balsall Radio”
- Your name
- A brief description of the types of shows/content you want to produce
- A sample segment of the types of shows/content you want to produce
- An introduction to the next song (Can be any song of your choice)
- This can be simply recorded on the voice recorder app on your smartphone (you don't need any special equipment).
- The link needs to be in the style of a radio show - listen to a link on a live show for an example.
- The next steps will be different for all other roles - we will contact you with more details after you have placed you application for more information on the next steps.